Friday, January 16, 2009

FREAKNIK 2009


So this is it. A moment we have all been waiting for I guess. An African American becoming President of the United Snakes of America. Everybody is flocking to D.C. this weekend to be a part of history. Just so we can all answer the question - "Where were you when Obama became President?".

I will not be there. Does that make me less of an artivist? Been really back and forth with this whole inauguration thang. Should I stay, Should I go? Would I even be able to see anything, will I just be stuck in People traffic the whole time? Should I take off work? All these questions I've been dwelling over for like a month. I've decided not to go because of many different factors. Personally I'm not a fan of being stuck in ocean of people that goes nowhere. Its just not my thing. I also don't wanna be surrounded by a bunch of pigs in riot gear, and don't think that won't go down. Its D.C.. Its kind of known for its fear tactics.

I really wanted to be apart of this experience but I feel like it has been romanticized so much it's ruining my perception of whats really going on. It became the "In" thing to do this month. People are selling thousand dollar tickets to all these "Balls" and parties. Its just kinda ridiculous. There was too much capitalism going on for me. They have turned it into FREAKNIK 2009. Not in the sexual sense but almost. The liquor sponsors are running a muck in D.C. now. There a million parties going down and a million buses. Promoters from all over the nation have set their sights on D.C. and its money signs in their eyes.

This is one of my favorite scenes from the movie "Get on the Bus" by Spike Lee(yes I can reference a Spike lee film every week).



"We can't be the helpless romantic in this relationship..."

Lets remain aware of our surroundings. Lets not let this Nostalgia set in. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy Obama was elected, but we cannot leave all the work up to him. We cannot sit back and relax now. We are really building this up, the Obama Presidency that is. If we have to compare it to the 8 years of Bush then yea it will probably be phenomenal, but lets not do that. Bush was a fluke. To compare Obama to him is an insult. That can't be our margin for approval. We can't be the helpless romantic in this relationship.

Boots Riley from The Coup on the Presidency.



So I hope that we remain aware this weekend and all throughout the Inauguration festivities. Lets not get caught up in the "Party & Bullshit" atmosphere. There is still work to be done. Gaza is still there. Oscar grant is still dead. Lets not lose focus.

Heres a free OBAMA Mixtape my homie Dion Decibels from the BAY AREA put out. As always folks Listen responsibly,

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. The promotional culture that surrounds the coming inauguration of Obama - the "official" pre and after parties, Jay Z's "Concert of Change," and the numerous promoters, planners, and travel agents ready to sell you your very own piece of this historic moment - should come as no surprise given the way Obama's presidential campaign was saturated in the rhetoric of promotion.

    I would expect that a president whose election can be attributed to successful use of market research, media consultants, catch phrases, celebrity endorsements, Facebook profiles and Tweets would be sworn in amidst a 4-day long carnival of parties, celebrity identities, concerts, and the latest Obama merchandise.

    The more important question is how can we, in this all-pervasive atmosphere of promotion, distinguish between what is advertising, entertainment, and PR and what is politics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll be gettin my conscious hustle on in the classroom with my 20 youth... plantin seeds and brainstormin ways to manifest change in our own communities and families... as well as our own self - helping form critical lenses that challenge our own oppression, attitudes, victimization, and agency. more than anything obama's election is giving our billion of kiddies a contemporary icon - as huey newton, bobby seal, malcolm x, marcus garvey, martin luther king, w.e.b. debois, nelson mandela, etc etc - to strive and be like. we'll be watchin the inauguration and searching for specific comments on concerns my kindergarten class has gathered. bless bless mi hermano. hope you staying grounded on your struggle at home during this historic time. thanks for your words and the videos....
    con luz y amor, iyawo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know it's funny because i made that same freaknik analogy with a friend during a phone convo this weekend. great minds think alike i guess.

    ReplyDelete