Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Art of Consciously Hustling

So I started this blog to be a manifestation of my inner musings, thoughts and social critiques. I adapted the term Conscious Hustler a few years ago and made a t-shirt design for my brand 1SOULDESIGNS that was very well received. I realized it was well received because I was not alone. There are more of us. We hustle in progressing our community the same way others hustle in the stunting of our social growth.

hustle

(hŭs'əl)
  1. To move or act energetically and rapidly: We hustled to get dinner ready on time.
  2. To push or force one's way.
  3. To act aggressively, especially in business dealings.

"Evolution of the Revolution"




The Black Panthers were hustlers, the Young Lords were hustlers. They adapted to the times. They took what they wanted. We must do what they did in today's context. Their tactics are outdated, but not their hustle. We need to adapt to the times, to technology. A new age of "Conscious Hustlers" is needed.

There are many stigmas and stereotypes that plague "Hustlers" in our day and time. Usually a hustler preys on people who they feel they can take advantage of, people they can swindle into buying into whatever they want by deceit. This is the classic meaning of the word Hustle. Today we have evolved. This Hustle still does exist, but there is a niche of those same hustlers who "hustle for change". Not change in the monetary way but change in the social context. I am one of these hustlers. Yes I take advantage of my connections, but only to better their lives. To lead them to the doors that need to be opened. I hustle. I hustle for CHANGE, I hustle to cure hate, I hustle to demonetize profit, I hustle for empathy, I hustle for creativity, I hustle for the Evolution of the Revolution

"Sometimes the Revolution is televised..."

In today's Social Movements, there is a positive role for hustlers. We must continue to find a way to appeal to victims of mass media and capitalism. In doing so we partake in the same capitalist structure which can be labeled as "in the trenches", because that is the best place to be to fight back an opposing force. I hustle minds to take them back form the grasp of superficial lifestyles. I hustle because sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Sometimes the Revolution is televised.

My goal is to evoke new tactics for today's Progressive movements. Show people how to Adapt to technology instead of being dismissive of it, we must use their force back on them. You should never bring a Knife to a gunfight.

"...never bring a Knife to a gunfight."



Philip Zimbardo: How ordinary people become monsters ... or heroes

There are no evil products or people, just evil factors. Lets go after the factors instead of the people. Change the factors to change the product.

Welcome to my plight to leave something behind that is bigger than me. Take a inside look into the lifestyle and mind of a Conscious Hustler. Follow me in my personal life, my life with my brand 1SOULDESIGNS, which I started before I turned 21, by selling t-shirts I printed in my Screenprinting class at F.I.T. at street festivals. Follow me in my life with PARALELL MVMT, one of the companies I help run with like minded individuals who seek to grow progressive MVMTS and Buisnesses through technology and design. Follow me in my life with FRESTHETIC, a shop I co-own and opened in 2007 to provide a space for Independant artist and grassroots companies to showcase progressive products and artwork. Accompany me in my life with fellow artist in my art crew TRUST YOUR STRUGGLE, a collective of socially progressive "muralists" and artists from across the nation. Follow my adventures in Teaching with URBAN ARTS PARTNERSHIP and how our youth will set us free for tomorrow.
THIS IS MY CONSCIOUS HUSTLE.

6 comments:

  1. This is the very thing that has been on my mind and in my heart for some time now! I love it! I believe in this hustle.

    Makini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for breaking it down, Mikey. I really like what you have to say. My ONLY critique is that each of the quotes, "sometimes the revolution is televised," i.e. could have been their own post. I'm not saying it was too long, I still read every word. But that way you keep us coming back for more. Get people addicted to the hustle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Site design looks real tight, homie. Of course the message is real, but you already knew I'd be on board with that. Coming back to check the videos now that my internet is back up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! A knife isn't inherently bad. It can be used to slice bread or stab people. But the factors behind someone's use of a knife can lead to negative...or productive results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work mikey. Inspired to see u putting thought behind action. In the convo we had before i mentioned my dads gen. and the exhausting technics they (and r still using) used to recruit minds, study, and act.
    We def hav t be smarter bout how we win the fight 4 our babies, our cousins, students, families(yep!) minds in "collective clue finding+big picture break down+strategic (non boring/non exclusive) action!" I feel u on Obama as well...I always go to boots because he is one person i know who has read and studies just as much as he spits.

    Heres a few clues for you and other folks reading this to fig out what the election means to us. What does ICE CUBE's-Summer Vacation, Carl Dix's speech for "refuse & resist"(translated live in spanish), E-40's-World Went Crazy, El Salvador, Nicarauga, Guatemala, Gary Webb,and "crack the cia" by Guerilla News Network have to do with why Obama's election is part of a very large "theater" or "opera"?
    Much love mikey...
    -Rob/tres

    ReplyDelete
  6. as a marketer/ad and media maven, this conscious hustle really speaks to me. Lord Mikey, you've just provided the prophecy for the future of the hustle landscape. We'd betta listen! :)

    baabay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete